Recipe by MichelleinHI
I got this from a friend many years ago. Although it takes some time to to make, we love it.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs large raw shrimp
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup ice water
- oil (for deep frying)
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- 1⁄2 cup orange marmalade
- 1⁄4 cup Grey Poupon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 3 -4 drops hot sauce (like Tabasco, Texas Pete)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel, devein & wash shrimp. Dry well on paper towels. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix all dry ingredients for batter.
- Add 2 Tbsp oil & ice water.
- Stir to blend.
- To fry: heat oil to 350 in deep fryer or skillet.
- Spread coconut on a flat pan a little at a time, adding more as needed.
- Dip shrimp in batter,then roll in coconut.
- Fry in hot oil until lightly browned.
- Combine marmalade, grey poupon mustard, honey & hot sauce for dipping.