1/4 Photos of Outback Honey Wheat Bushman Bread (Copycat)
3 hrs 40 mins
"Recipe created by Todd Wilbur at www.TopSecretRecipes.com". In searching for a copycat recipe for Outback's bread, I found this one online. I'm posting it here as the recipe was written so I won't lose it. I did change the size of my loaves by making two large loaves instead of 6 smaller ones. This recipe is a bit different from others here on Zaar in that it requires molasses as well as honey. It produces a nice dark loaf that we thought was very close to Outback's bread. I mixed up some honey butter to serve with it. Super yummy! NOTE: this is not supposed to be a "fluffy" bread! This recipe produces a dark dense loaf.
My Private Note
small l ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons yeast
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 1/4 teaspoons red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon yellow food coloring
- 1 teaspoon blue food coloring
- cornmeal, for dusting
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 -2 teaspoon honey, to taste
- 1In a small bowl, combine the sugar and warm water; add the yeast and let this mixture sit until it is foamy.
- 2While the yeast proofs, combine the bread and wheat flours, cocoa and salt in a large bowl.
- 3Mix the 2 T butter into the dry mixture with your hands.
- 4Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients; pour the honey and molasses into the well.
- 5Mix the food coloring into the yeast solution and then pour into the well.
- 6Stir with a wooden spoon until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- 7Put the dough on a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes.
- 8Roll the dough into a ball and place in an oiled bowl.
- 9Cover and put in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours or until it has risen to double it's size.
- 10When the dough has doubled, divide it into 6 portions.
- 11Roll each portion about 6" long and 2" wide.
- 12Put some cornmeal on your rolling surface and moisten your hands with water.
- 13Rub the dough with your moistened hands and then roll the dough in the cornmeal.
- 14Put the rolled dough on a baking sheet and cover to rise again.
- 15Set the dough in a warm place again for about 1 hour or until the loaves are doubled in size.
- 16Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
- 17When done, let it cool for 10-15 minutes.
- 18Combine the 1/4 c butter and honey (to taste) in a small bowl.
- 19Whip with a mixer until thoroughly combined.
- 20Serve on the warm bread.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Outback Honey Wheat Bushman Bread (Copycat)
Serving Size: 1 (1004 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 451.8
- Calories from Fat 117
- Total Fat 13.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 495.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 77.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 17.9 g
- Protein 9.8 g