Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 hrs
I have tried many different ways to cook a roast, but this one is the best by far says my family.
- 3 -4 lbs boneless chuck roast
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) cancampbells cream of onion soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) cancampbells cream of potato soup
- 8 ounces baby carrots
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup water
- Put roast in casserole dish.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Put carrots around roast.
- Pour in water.
- Pour cream of onion soup over roast (not diluted).
- Pour cream of potato soup over roast (not diluted).
- Cover with lid or foil.
- Put in a 275° oven for 5 hours.
- When you take the roast out of the oven, you will have the best roast with the best gravy you have ever eaten.
This turned out really well for a tiny amount of work. I used regular carrots that I cut up (to use them up) but I can definitely see the attraction of opening 3 cans/packages rather than chopping and measuring. Although I don't typically use the soups in cooking I would probably make this again. I used an 7X11 dish but the gravy started to overflow so I think 9X13 would be better. I thought I should have made noodles because there is a lot of gravy, but I got an alternative request for a larger roast and more carrots and potatoes in the same amount of gravy.
I used my slow cooker for this recipe. It makes a very good roast. My husband was a bit skeptical when he saw the soups that I put in, but he was won over after he tasted it. He hates leftovers, but we ate what was left a few nights later and he even said that is was still good. I think that the soups help to keep the roast from drying out. Thanks! I will make this again.