Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Well some recipes are copied, some recipes are inspired and some just land on your lap......well, this one at least. We have a 5 year old daughter Aparna, who has no sense of humor and a 2 year old son Abhay.....what to say......he has no sense. He normally is in a world of his own and we are almost certain, he does not belong to this world.....lives by his own rules and is not ruled by the clock thus keeping us awake during nights and he slumbers during the day....one thing for sure, his world & our world has a time difference of at least 10-12 hours. The other day, I was planning to make a quite an ordinary salad. Then I saw two things wasting away in the house. A slice of bread which was supposed to be eaten by Abhay and half a lemon which was slowly drying up in the fridge. The result is this salad, which is quite out of the world.
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cucumber
- 2 -3 leaves cabbage, cut into thin strips
- 1⁄2 red capsicum, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 yellow pepper, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 carrot, grated (big size)
- 2 slices of leftover bread
- 1⁄2 to 1 lemon, juice of
- 3 -4 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 pinches oregano
- 3 pinches basil
- 3 pinches thyme
- 2 pinches sesame seeds
- 4 -5 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- Clean and cut all the veggies (except the tomato and cucumber) and spread on a napkin to let the excess water drain.
- Wash and cut the tomatoes and cucumber into small pieces.
- Take a medium sized bowl and add the veggies, then the tomatoes on top and set it aside.
- Cut the bread slices into equal size 1cm cubes.
- Heat a wok, add the bread cubes and add olive oil - set the fire on medium.
- Grind the garlic cloves with olive oil and salt to taste and add the same to the wok.
- Once the bread is dehydrated and start turning golden brown, take it off the gas and spread it on a tissue paper to cool.
- Once the bread has cooled down, add the same to the vegetable mix.
- Add salt to taste to the lemon juice and pour it onto the bread crumbs.
- Season with black pepper, oregano, basil, thyme and sesame seeds.
- Mix it up and it is ready to serve.