Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
We have these pierogies every year for Christmas and even though it might sound strange it is one of our family's favorites. You don't even have to wait for Christmas! Just a note.. We usually make 2 casserole dishes full and it is enough for almost 40 people.
- 1 kg pierogi (your favorite kind)
- 1 liter whipping cream (liquid)
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Lightly grease one large or two small baking dishes.
- Boil the pierogies in batches until mostly cooked but not completely cooked.
- Place one layer in the baking dish with half the onions and dot with 3 tbsps. marg. or butter.
- Repeat layers, sprinkling with salt and pepper.
- Fill the baking dish not quite to the top with the whipping cream and place on a baking sheet as this helps prevent leaking onto the bottom of the oven.
- Cover and bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until pierogies are fork tender.
I made this in a giant turkey roaster. I used chives instead of onions. I used 6KG of perogies and I figured on 4 L of cream, but I could only fit just under 2 Litres in! I did layer my perogies close together, to fit them all in. It turned out really good! I'm not usually a fan of pergies without sour cream and bacon bits but these were perfect as is. Everyone loved them and they were fine as leftovers. The cream does not thicken but it kind of coated the perogies anyways, and they were delicious. Thanks a lot!! (Now, what will I do my extra 2 litres of cream? haha)
This was very easy to make. My guests thought it was fantastic. I sauted the onion first in the butter and then put it on the pierogis. I was surprised to find that the cream did not thicken, so the sauce remained as thin as it was right from the carton. I would have preferred the sauce to be thicker and to coat the pierogis.