Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
From the book, Heart of the Palms
- 2 cups peeled cubed, white potatoes
- 2 cups diced onions
- 2 cups diced celery
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups milk
- 2 (8 ounce) bottles clam juice
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) canschopped clams, undrained
- 2 cups diced green peppers
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon powdered thyme
- Steam potatoes for 12 minutes.
- Saute onion and celery in butter in large Dutch oven for 10 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in flour until smooth.
- Combine milk and clam juice in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add to flour mixture, stirring constantly until smooth, about 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Gently fold in potatoes.
- Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.