Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is the ideal pasta sauce to have ready in the freezer all year round. Our family favourite tested and true that I have been making for 40 years. Big-batch sauce handy as a base for pasta dishes.The picture I include is to show how I store my sauce in Vaccum sealed jars.
- 3 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 lb Italian sausage, medium hot
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1 (10 ounce) can consomme
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 3 (28 ounce) cans tomatoes, cubed
- 1 (48 ounce) can tomato juice
- 2 (14 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 2 bay leaves
- Remove casing from sausage and mix with ground beef.
- In large saucepan, fry meat until brown. Add garlic, onions, green peppers, celery, carrot, salt and pepper and cook over Medium Low until vegetables are translucent.
- Pour in large roasting pan.
- Add remaining ingredients. Mix well.
- Bake, uncovered, 6 to 7 hours in a 300Â°F oven.
- Remove bay leaves and spoon off excess fat floating on sauce.
- Serve over pasta of choice with parmesan cheese.
- Cool surplus sauce, pour in containers, seal and freeze for later use.
- Makes 8 (4 cup/1L) containers approximately.
- Tips: If using dried herbs, reduce the amounts.
- A large roasting pan is ideal for making the sauce.