Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
This chicken pot pie was created one night when the pantry was close to bare. I had some leftover chicken, frozen mixed veggies and basic pantry ingredients but not much else. We now have this several times per month all year round.
- 2 -3 chicken breasts, cubed (I try to make ahead or use leftovers!)
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
For the roux (sauce)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
For the crust
- 1 3⁄4 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 3 teaspoons water
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Rub the bottom and sides of a 9x13 baker with butter. Cook and cube chicken if necessary. Layer chicken in the bottom of baking dish.
- Cook veggies about five minutes in the microwave in a microwave dish with only a splash of water. Layer on top of chicken.
- Combine corn starch and milk and stir until smooth.
- Add butter, salt and pepper. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil. Boil one minute until thickened. Pour over chicken and vegetables.
- Combine flour, salt, oil and water in a large mixing bowl. Roll out between 2 sheets of wax paper. Place crust on top of the roux and cut slits or decorate top crust as desired. Bake for 20-25 minutes until crust is golden brown.