1/1 Photo of Our Iraqi "timman" -- Rice
pretty much the base food for every meal that we cook. the "hikaka" at the bottom is an absolute must.. its an arab delicacy lol. note, if you try it, that the water amount probably isnt accurate. i dont measure things with a measuring cup-- just cover the rice with about 1/2" of water. also for easier removal, this works best with a nonstick pot
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 11. dump oil into pot, heat on medium high.
- 22. add dry rice, salt. saute about a minute or so. do not stir it after this point.
- 33. add the water, and turmeric. as i said, no exact amount. fill the pot and cover the rice about 1/2" with the water.
- 44. allow to come to a rapid boil, and then reduce the heat to medium/low (or about a 3).
- 55. cover the pot, and do not open for at least 30 minutes.
- 6to serve, dump the pot upside down on a serving platter. the "hikaka" will be on the top of your rice. it's just crispy "over cooked" rice, but it's unbelieveably delicious :).
Browse Our Top White Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All White Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Our Iraqi "timman" -- Rice
Serving Size: 1 (247 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 650.5
- Calories from Fat 160
- Total Fat 17.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1759.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 111.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 11.4 g