My sister in law shared this recipe with me a year or so before I married into their family. Since then, I've never been able to make ice cream for an event without everybody asking me for the recipe. It's great to add ingredients (fresh fruit, chocolate, nuts, etc) but still incredible just Plain Vanilla Ice Cream. With left over egg whites I always make Deluxe Angel Food Cake. Use Organic Milk and Cream for the ULTIMATE Homemade Ice Cream
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix together sugar, salt and egg yolks in large saucepan.
- 2Slowly add milk.
- 3Split vanilla bean and add to milk mixture.
- 4Cook over medium heat until thickens and coats back of spoon.
- 5You MUST stir constantly.
- 6Remove from heat and strain in fine mesh strainer.
- 7Chill until ready to freeze in ice cream freezer.
- 8When ready to freeze, pour thickened & cooled milk mixture into cannister.
- 9Add Half & Half and vanilla.
- 10Cover and process according to your ice cream freezer.
- 11Cooking/freezing times vary according to your brand of freezer and outdoor tempatures.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Our Ice Cream
Serving Size: 1 (104 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 163.8
- Calories from Fat 68
- Total Fat 7.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 88.1 mg
- Sodium 61.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 18.8 g
- Protein 3.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: