Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
My sister in law shared this recipe with me a year or so before I married into their family. Since then, I've never been able to make ice cream for an event without everybody asking me for the recipe. It's great to add ingredients (fresh fruit, chocolate, nuts, etc) but still incredible just Plain Vanilla Ice Cream. With left over egg whites I always make Deluxe Angel Food Cake. Use Organic Milk and Cream for the ULTIMATE Homemade Ice Cream
- 10 egg yolks
- 2 cups granulated sugar, sift (or use bakers grade sugar)
- 4 cups whole milk
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Mix together sugar, salt and egg yolks in large saucepan.
- Slowly add milk.
- Split vanilla bean and add to milk mixture.
- Cook over medium heat until thickens and coats back of spoon.
- You MUST stir constantly.
- Remove from heat and strain in fine mesh strainer.
- Chill until ready to freeze in ice cream freezer.
- When ready to freeze, pour thickened & cooled milk mixture into cannister.
- Add Half & Half and vanilla.
- Cover and process according to your ice cream freezer.
- Cooking/freezing times vary according to your brand of freezer and outdoor tempatures.