Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is so good with the most delicious chocolate icing.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped, melted and cooled
- In large bowl, beat butter with sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time; beat in vanilla. In separate bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir into butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, making 3 additions of dry ingredients and 2 of buttermilk.
- Spoon into 2 greased then parchment paper–lined 9-inch (1.5 L) round metal cake pans. Bake in centre of 350°F (180°C) oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Let cool on racks for 20 minutes. Remove from pans; let cool completely on racks.
- (Make-ahead: Wrap separately in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Or overwrap in heavy-duty foil and freeze for up to 2 weeks.) Cut each cake horizontally into 2 layers.
- Chocolate Icing: In bowl, beat butter until fluffy; gradually beat in cream. Beat in vanilla. Beat in sugar, about 1 cup at a time. Beat in chocolate until fluffy.
- Place 1 layer, cut side up, on cake plate. Slide strips of waxed paper between cake and plate. Spread cut side with about 3/4 cup of the icing; cover with remaining half, cut side down. Spread top with another 3/4 cup of the icing. Repeat with remaining layers.
- Spread remaining icing over side and top. Remove paper strips.
- (Make-ahead: Cover loosely and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Let come to room temperature before serving.).
- Chocolate Cupcakes: Spoon batter into 24 greased or paper-lined muffin cups. Bake for about 20 minutes. Transfer to racks and let cool. Spread tops with icing. Makes 24 cupcakes.
- Canadian Living Magazine: March 2008.