Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I came up with this rendition of tater tot casserole one day when I didn't have any ground beef. My kids request this one a LOT! I've also used Specialty Soup Substitutes - Cream for the soup as well. :)
- 1 lb light pork sausage (Jimmy Dean is what we use)
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup (We also sometimes substitute cream of chicken, too)
- 1 -2 cup cheddar cheese (however much you desire, we love cheese!)
- frozen tater tots (we like to cover the top by lining them up)
- Cook sausage and drain.
- Add soup and stir.
- Put soup mixture on bottom of 9x9 pan.
- Place tater tots on top. I like to cover it fairly well.
- Sprinkle cheese over top.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. You can optionally broil the top for a couple of minutes for a little extra crisp.
Recipe is misleading. "frozen tater tots (however much you desire)" does not work well with a flat cook time of 30 minutes. I used 2lbs of frozen tater tots to level out the 9x9 casserole dish. After 30 minutes, the cheese was melted and I dished it out. The tater tots in the middle were still frozen... The recipe was good once it was cooked thoroughly but make sure to check the temperature of the center before serving--30 minutes may not be enough time for however much frozen tater tots you desire.
We really like the idea of this recipe, but the tots were undercooked and the cheese was overcooked. We're going to try it again, but next time we'll try cooking the tater tots seperately and then pour the mixture in the pan, put the cooked tots on top, sprinkle the cheese on, and cook for another 5-10 minutes (just long enough to melt the cheese, but not burn it.) Other than that, the flavor was great and we look forward to giving it a second chance!
I've been making this dish or some version for the last 20yrs. It's now a dish my daughters make for their children. Try some of these versions; add a can of green bean or corn to the meat mixture top the same way. Add onion and peppers to meat when browning again add a veggies and top the same. Make a southwest version by using left over taco ground beef add some corn salsa top with tator tots and taco cheese. I have used left over chicken cubed, cream of anything soup and peas. Top the same way. Yum Yum great easy fast recipe