Recipe by Trisha W
We had rhubarb growing in the back of our newly acquired home so a friend gave me this recipe. She said she never use to like rhubarb until she started using this recipe. After making this pie my teenage son said, "I never knew what rhubarb was and would not have tried it until I saw it growing." After eating it he said, "This is the best pie I have ever eaten." It takes a while to make this, but 2 hours is sitting and cooling at two different times and 45 min. is baking.
Top Review by mposa2
I made this today and it was really good, a little tart but could have been the strawberries I used weren't real sweet. I added an extra 1/4 cup of sugar and the next time may add 1/4 cup more. But will definitely make again. Instead of cornstarch next time I may try Clear Gel, I'm hoping it makes the the sauce part of the pie more clear Also just used 1 teaspoon almond flavoring, didn't have liqueur.
- 1 pie dough (top and bottom crust)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 lb rhubarb, cut stalks into 1/2-inch pieces (frozen works well)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons almond liqueur
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 pints strawberries, quartered (frozen works well)
- 1 egg yolk (mixed with 2T of water)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Comine the water and sugar in a saucepan (large enough to later add the rhubarb,) and simmer the syrup over low heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the rhubarb pieces.
- Cook the syrup and rhubarb for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to steep for 20 minutes.
- Strain out the rhubarb and set aside.
- Mix the almond liqueur with the cornstarch (add a few drops of water if necessary to remove all lumps) and stir into the cooled syrup which is now a rhubarb color. (If you want it more red add a couple drops of red food coloring.).
- Place the mixture back on the stove and cook the syrup till thick, about 5-6 minutes.
- Return the rhubarb to the syrup, add the strawberries and stir to combine.
- Remove from heat and cool completely for 1 hour.
- Pour the fruit filling into the pie dish lined with the bottom crust. You can do a plain or lattice crust top.
- Brush top with egg wash water mix.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Allow to cool at least 1 hour before serving. This is great served with ice cream.