Prep 0 mins
Cook 5 mins
From a cookbook called Family Circle Illustrated Library of Cooking. We eat these with applesauce or sour cream and cheese.
- 6 medium potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Peel and shred potatoes.
- (Should be 3 cups shredded) In a large bowl, beat eggs; stir in potatoes, onions and spices.
- Sprinkle flour over top and stir in.
- Melt enough shortening in a large heavy fry pan (about 1/4 inch deep) and heat.
- Measure out about 1/4 cup potato mixture for each pancake.
- Flatten slightly to make a thin pancake.
- Fry slowly, turning once, 3 to 5 minutes, or until crisp and golden.
Hi Bullwinkle, Wow! These were delicious and so very crispy...... I had a little trouble keeping them together, but if you smush them together good it works pretty good.They were really good though.Thanks for this great recipe,Darlene