Recipe by bullwinkle
From a cookbook called Family Circle Illustrated Library of Cooking. We eat these with applesauce or sour cream and cheese.
Top Review by Darlene Summers
Hi Bullwinkle, Wow! These were delicious and so very crispy...... I had a little trouble keeping them together, but if you smush them together good it works pretty good.They were really good though.Thanks for this great recipe,Darlene
- 6 medium potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and shred potatoes.
- (Should be 3 cups shredded) In a large bowl, beat eggs; stir in potatoes, onions and spices.
- Sprinkle flour over top and stir in.
- Melt enough shortening in a large heavy fry pan (about 1/4 inch deep) and heat.
- Measure out about 1/4 cup potato mixture for each pancake.
- Flatten slightly to make a thin pancake.
- Fry slowly, turning once, 3 to 5 minutes, or until crisp and golden.