Recipe by sarahbeier
I found this recipe a long time ago on a box or jar, we've made our own additions to it over the years. Everyone always comments on the great flavors and the secret is the sausage- we use breakfast sausage for a great slightly spicy slightly sweet taste. You can use any red pasta sauce that you like- we LOVE a roasted red pepper and onion flavor because it complements the sausage really well. Enjoy!
Top Review by TasteTester
I love the ease with which this went together; it took only a few minutes to saute the sausage/onion and then I just popped it in the oven. The lasagna noodles came out perfectly. I liked the texture they had from not boiling them; when I've boiled them before assembling the lasagna, they can often be way too soft. The proportions of cheeses, etc. to the recipe were great; the only thing I'd change is to use a little less sausage because I felt it overpowered the taste of the sauce a bit. Overall, it was enjoyed by all and will be a recipe I'll turn to for a delicious and quick meal.
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles
- 1 lb breakfast sausage
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 (26 ounce) jars pasta sauce
- 2 eggs
- 15 ounces low-fat ricotta cheese
- 12 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup romano cheese or 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- parsley, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute meat, onion, and garlic salt with a small amount of salt. Drain.
- Add spaghetti sauce, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer while assembling cheese mixture.
- In a large bowl combine ricotta, Romano, eggs. Mix well.
- Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish lightly with nonstick spray.
- Spread about 1 cup of meat/sauce mixture in the bottom of dish. Top with 3 or 4 strips uncooked lasagna noodles- however many will fit in a single layer.
- Cover with 1/3 the meat/sauce mixture then 1/3 the cheese/egg mixture, then 1/3 the shredded Mozzarella.
- Repeat layers of uncooked noodles, meat/sauce, cheese/egg mixtures and Mozzarella, ending with the 3rd layer of Mozzarella on top.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- Cover tightly, bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
- Let stand covered 15 minutes before serving.