Recipe by Sandi (From CA)
A lovely Italian twist that's popular in my Italian family. Incredibly easy and full of flavor. Sure wish I could remember where I got this...
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced fine
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage link, casings removed
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (2 oz) or 1⁄2 cup Fontina cheese (2 oz)
Directions See How It's Made
- In nonstick large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add red peppers and onions and cook until tender and lightly browned, 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring. Set vegetables aside to cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In large bowl, mix sausage meat, ground beef, eggs, bread crumbs, parmesan, tomato sauce, salt and cooked vegetables just until well combined, but not over mixed.
- In 13" by 9" ungreased metal baking pan (I use silicon pans), shape meat mixture into 9" by 5" loaf. Bake for 1 hour.
- Sprinkle mozzarella or fontina cheese down center of loaf in a 2-inch-wide strip and bake for 10 minutes longer.
- Let meatloaf stand 10 minutes before slicing.