Recipe by Doe's diner
This is a delicious, one-pan meal to change up the ordinary ground beef or ground turkey recipes. Although the dish is delicious the first day - the leftovers just might be a bit better!
Top Review by GaylaV
Excellent! I did add some mushrooms in place of peppers as that is what I had on hand. Next time I will use both. I did decrease the salt and pepper by half as a personal preference and I used frozen corn which worked fine. I had Velveeta that needed to be used so I thought this was a great way to do that. I will be making this one again. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 ounces vermicelli or 6 ounces angel hair pasta
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, undrained
- 2 teaspoons salt or 2 teaspoons Tony Chachere's Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (15 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup cheese (American, Velveeta, or Cheddar)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat until it ripples.
- Break vermicelli in 1/2 and add to oil to brown. Careful, it doesn't take long!
- Add ground meat, garlic, and onion. Brown until meat is no longer pink.
- Spoon out grease from meat.
- Add remaining ingredients except cheese. Stir until blended.
- Reduce heat to simmer, Cover and cook about 35 minutes - stirring occasionally - until the liquid has been reduced.
- Remove from heat, top with cheese, and allow to set for 5 minutes. American/Velveeta gives a creaminess while cheddar gives a great bite - either is really good.