Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is the perfect Christmas meal served with an elegant salad, hot crusty Italian bread and lots of good red wine! Some may add clams but I am allergic so this version is without the hard mollusks. Also, any firm fish will do, we love Red Snapper and Grouper. Garnish with either a few drops of fuity extra virgin olive oil and freshly chopped parsley. DH likes to add tiny new potatoes, too.
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 cup celery, minced
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cups shellfish stock
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 lb crabmeat
- 1 lb firm white fish fillet, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- kosher salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, celery, ½ of the parsley, and all of garlic and sauté until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add vinegar, fennel, spices, salt and pepper and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add stock, white wine and continue to simmer for another 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding more stock if needed.
- Then add the shrimp and fish and simmer until the shrimp are almost cooked through, about 4 minutes.
- Serve in big soup bowls, and top each serving with crabmeat, parsley, and a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil.