Mommy Diva's Note:
This is one of our family traditions that has been passed down from generation to generation. My cousin Tammy and her Mom have made the best for years so no one has really attempted it - until the family gatherings slowed down and I found the recipe. Guess I may have to try my hand at it -these really are to die for!! **crust prep time not included in this protion of recipe*** Tammy's Fried Pie Pastry Tammy's Fried Pie Pastry or Traditional Fried Pie Pastry Traditional Fried Pie Pastry preferred
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 ounces dried apricots
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon (more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon allspice (can sub additional cinnamon and clove for the allspice if desired) (optional)
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- pastry dough (Tammy's Fried Pie Pastry Tammy's Fried Pie Pastry or Traditional Fried Pie Pastry Traditional Fried Pie Pastry suggested)
- 1Wash and dice dried apricots, then place in a sauce pan and cover with water (about 1 inch above fruit).
- 2Cook slowly until tender.
- 3Do NOT pour off water.
- 4Add spices to taste and lemon juice.
- 5Thicken with a corn starch slurry.
- 6**Be careful of scorching after cornstarch is added.
- 7Roll out a ball of pastry about the size of a golf ball.
- 8Spoon 1 heaping tablespoon of fruit filling on 1/2 of pastry circle leaving about a half inch edge.
- 9Fold over and seal with a fork.
- 10***Pies may be frozen at this point.
- 11Fry frozen or thawed pies in a skillet of hot oil(preferred Crisco at 375 degrees in cast iron skillet) until golden brown.
- 12Remove to a paper towel lined plate.
- 13Can be eaten as is (preferred)or sprinkle with powdered sugar, lightly.
- 14Enjoy! ;).
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Our Family Fried Pies
Serving Size: 1 (711 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 134.7
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 33.0 g
- Protein 0.5 g