Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
We just love John Wayne movies and a friend in Az. gave us this recipe John Wayne is famous around the Maricopa, Arizona, area as he was one of the owners of Red River Farms, a large feed lot near there.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Mix chiles and cheeses and put into a buttered shallow casserole.
- In a small bowl combine milk, egg yolks, flour, salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl beat egg whites to stiff peaks.
- Gently fold whites into the yolk mixture.
- Then pour the mixture over the cheese and chile mixture and carefully blend.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and lay tomato slices over the entire top.
- Return to oven and bake 30 minutes longer, or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
- Garnish with a sprinkling of green chiles. Serves 8.
THANK YOU this is the REAL version of the casserole. My grandma used to make this was a family favorite. She wrote it on a recipe card I still have it....somewhere. I looked online and there are all these beef taco versions? I knew it was like a chili relleno with no meat with evaporated milk and 2 pounds of cheese. I always add more tomato.
I found this recipe in A Taste of Georgia Southern Living Hall of Fame. The recipe is supposed to be an adaptation of the original recipe of actor John Wayne. This is really delicious, and very satisfying. Thank you for posting!