Recipe by noway
I grew up in a very Dutch community in Iowa. This is from a community cookbook from my hometown. Posted for ZWT6.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white corn syrup
- 1 cup coffee, cold
- 1⁄4 teaspoon anise extract or 1⁄4 teaspoon anise oil
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Sift together flour and baking soda.
- Mix together brown sugar, cornsyrup, coffee, and anise.
- Mix wet ingredients with dry ingredients.
- Pour into 9x9 inch baking pan and bake for 45 min at 325°F.
- To serve: May be sliced thinly. May spread with butter if desired.