Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This heirloom recipe for Christmas cake is just lovely any time of year. From the Michigan Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1 cup molasses (either light or medium)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons anise seed, crushed
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour milk
- Preheat oven to 300F and lightly grease a tube pan.
- Sift dry ingredients together very well.
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Add egg, molasses and anise seed; beat thoroughly.
- Add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture alternatively with the sour milk.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes or until cake tests done.