Prep 2 mins
Cook 3 mins
This is something I came up with when I was a child. I'm now an adult and we still make these addictive babies. Watch out when you take these out of your kitchen griller--they are burning hot! Let them rest for approximately 2 minutes before eating. These are great serviced with a chilled glass of milk.
- 2 slices of good quality bread (thick slices)
- 4 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter
- 6 teaspoons caster sugar (I use 3 tsp per slice of bread) or 6 teaspoons vanilla sugar (I use 3 tsp per slice of bread)
- Pre-heat your kitchen griller to high setting. Make sure you rack is placed in the middle.
- Grill one side of each slice of bread till golden brown.
- Slather the other side of each slice of bread with 2 TBS of the peanut butter of your choice. Or more or less according to your liking. Spread it all the way to the edges.
- Then sprinkle to your liking some caster or vanilla sugar on top. This works best if added generously. I sprinkle about 3 tsp per slice of bread.
- Pop them under the griller so that the sugar can caramelize and meld in with the peanut butter. They are ready when the sugar is bulbing and slightly brown in colour.
- Do not let the sugar burn! Keep your hungry eyes on them.
- Slip them out of the griller and place them on a cooling rack. Let them cool for approx 2 minutes before eating. You don't want to burn the roof of your mouth.