1/1 Photo of Otoro's Irish Lamb Stew
2 hrs 45 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
I made this a few days after Easter when I had leftover leg of lamb. Save the bones, along with the green part of the leeks to make lamb stock, if not beef stock can be substituted. It turned out really awesome and tastes even better the day after you make it. Really just add any veggies you like, my GF doesn't like onions (hence the leeks) but she loves mushrooms. This is hearty food for working class people, not fancy just good food for the gut. Simple and delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 44.37-59.16 ml olive oil or 44.37-59.16 ml butter
- 3 leeks, white part only, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 5-6 button mushrooms, sliced
- 4-5 white potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalk celery, chopped
- 680.38 g lamb, cut into bite sized pieces
- 59.14 ml unsalted butter
- 59.14 ml flour
- 411.06 g can diced tomatoes
- 3785.0 ml lamb stock or 3785.0 ml beef stock
- 396.89 g can Guinness draught
- 177.44 ml barley
- 4.92 ml parsley
- 4.92 ml thyme
- 4.92 ml marjoram (optional)
- 1In a large pot add the 3-4 T. of oil or butter and turn to medium-high heat.
- 2Add all the vegetables (besides the tomatoes), season with salt and pepper and cook a few minutes until they begin to soften.
- 3Add the lamb and cook until the outside is browned.
- 4In a nonstick skillet melt the 1/4 cup of butter over medium-low heat and add the flour. Cook a few minutes until the mixture gets a little color, no more than 4 minutes. There, you just made a roux. Easy.
- 5Add the roux to the pot along with the tomatoes, stock and beer. Stir to combine and bring to a boil.
- 6Turn down to a simmer and cook for 2 hours.
- 7Add the barley and herbs and cook for another 20 minutes or until the barley is cooked to your liking. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Bon Appetito.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Otoro's Irish Lamb Stew
Serving Size: 1 (272 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 532.2
- Calories from Fat 240
- Total Fat 26.7 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 80.3 mg
- Sodium 311.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 23.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: