Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
Delicious with strong black coffee, this is an easy Middle Eastern dessert pastry. This recipe comes from Nestle. If you can't get hold of the Nestle Cream use lightly sweetened mascarpone, cream cheese or ricotta.
- 150 g shredded phyllo dough (Othmaliye dough or Kunafa dough)
- 59.16 ml ghee, melted
For the Filling
- 473.18 ml milk
- 29.58 ml fine semolina
- 170 g Nestle cream (1 tin)
- 14.79 ml rose water
- 118.29 ml pistachios, crushed
- 236.59 ml sugar syrup
- Cover the bottom of a round 25cm baking tin with half the quantity of Othmaliye dough. Pour melted ghee over the dough and bake in a 200˚C preheated oven for 10–15 minutes or until dough is golden.
- Remove from the oven and carefully take the crusted dough out and place it on a flat plate.
- In the same baking tin, cover the bottom with the rest of the dough and bake again in the oven in the same way. Remove and place on a separate flat plate.
- Add milk and semolina to a large saucepan, bring to boil, then simmer for 5-10 minutes or until sauce thickens. Remove from heat and stir in NESTLÉ Cream and rosewater. Allow to cool at room temperature.
- Cover the first part of the baked dough with the cream mixture. Sprinkle crushed pistachio on top. Cover the cream with the second part of the baked dough.
- Sprinkle the syrup on top and allow to cool in the fridge for 2 hours. Slice and serve.