1/2 Photos of Ostrich Steaks With Prawns and a Roasted Garlic Sauce
The Flying Chef's Note:
I thought I would have a go at another new invention, I think this turned out really well and everyone enjoyed it. The steaks were thick and juicy and the sauce was awesome and went really well with the Ostrich and Prawns. I served on a bed of mushrooms and made asparagus wrapped in bacon and topped with prawns.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 ostrich steaks (250-300g each steak)
- 8 jumbo prawns
- 1 small red onion, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon chicken stock powder
- 15 -20 garlic cloves
- 1 cup cream
- 1/2 teaspoon cornflour
- 1Place cloves of garlic in a roasting pan, still in skin and roast in 200c oven until browned and soft. (about 10-15 Min's).
- 2Remove and set aside to cool.
- 4In a pan, melt butter, add garlic and mushrooms cook a few minutes to brown mushrooms, add wine and cook until liquid has evaporated, stir in parsley and thyme.
- 5Mushrooms can be made ahead and reheated in the microwave.
- 7Heat a small amount of oil in pan, add onion and cook until soft. Add wine and stock, stir to dissolve stock.
- 8Squeeze each garlic clove into sauce, they will be the consistency of a puree. (I prefer to do this, but I think you can buy already prepared roast garlic puree, not sure if it tastes the same.).
- 9Add cream and pepper, just before serving mix a little water with cornflour and add to sauce. This is only meant to thicken slightly it is not supposed to be a really thick sauce.
- 10Serve over Ostrich.
- 11Ostrich Steaks.
- 12BBQ, grill or pan fry steaks until desired doneness, ostrich is a very lean meat and toughens when overcooked. It is better cooked medium rare, but if you prefer your meat a little more done do not cook more than absolutely necessary as it will be like eating leather.
- 13While the steaks are cooking heat some oil in a separate pan and cook prawns until pink and cooked through.
- 14To serve: Spoon mushrooms onto plate to form a base, place steaks on top and then top with prawns and drizzle with sauce.
- 15I topped mine with asparagus spears as well, if you want to make these they are very easy.
- 16I buy baby asparagus and use 5 spears per roll, wrap these with a piece of bacon and place in an oven proof dish drizzle with olive oil, add a couple of garlic cloves to pan and cook in 180c oven until bacon is cooked and asparagus tender, about 10-15 Min's.
Browse Our Top Wild Game Recipes
You Might Also Like...
Nutritional Facts for Ostrich Steaks With Prawns and a Roasted Garlic Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (235 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 310.6
- Calories from Fat 222
- Total Fat 24.7 g
- Saturated Fat 15.2 g
- Cholesterol 96.7 mg
- Sodium 154.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 6.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: