Recipe by The Flying Chef
Here is a recipe I have seen on a few sites, some have all the same ingredients, some vary. I have adapted the recipe for what Ingredients I can get in my part of the world and also for personal taste. It sounds like there are a lot of ingredients, with a lot to do, to make it. It is not as a big as it sounds and the end result is gorgeous, with all the flavours really coming together to create a wonderful dish.
- 4 ostrich steaks (200g each approx)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds (mine were salted you may want to add a little salt to rub if yours are plain.)
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 garlic cloves, quartered
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark roasted coffee, freshly ground
- 2 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 2 tablespoons shallots, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 200 g mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 1⁄2 cup cream
Wild Rice with Asparagus
- 250 g wild rice
- 2 teaspoons vegetable bouillon granules
- water, to boil rice
- 500 g asparagus
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Place pumpkin seeds, cinnamon and peppercorns in a shallow baking pan and bake in a preheated 350-degree oven until the pumpkin seeds release their oils and turn light brown.
- Remove and grind in a food processor or blender with remaining rub ingredients. Grind to a fine powder.
- Rub the mixture onto steaks and refrigerate 2 to 4 hours.
- Approximately thirty minutes before serving, melt butter in a pan. Add shallots, garlic and sliced mushrooms and stir over medium heat until shallots and mushrooms soften about 10 minutes. Add water, stock and vanilla bean and bring to a boil over high heat. Continue to boil the mixture until it has reduced slightly, about 1/2 - 3/4 of a cup. Mix a little water with cornflour add to sauce until it thickens, remove the vanilla bean. Split bean in half and scrape insides into the sauce.
- While sauce is reducing, Heat grill or pan to medium high heat. Add steaks, Grill on both sides, I had very thick steaks so I cut them in half to make cooking time quick. I only cooked them a few min's per side. Ostrich meat is very low in fat and toughens quickly and is best cooked no longer than necessary.
- Finally add cream to sauce and stir over heat until sauce is warm. Serve immediately over steaks.
- Method for Wild Rice with Asparagus Tips.
- Asparagus is not the cheapest vegetable, and it is quite a waste to just use the tips. I do this for presentation if I am just cooking this for my family, I chop the useable part of the stems and use that as well as the tips. If you do this you will not need as many grams I would say 250-300g max. Also a tip if making for a dinner party or special occassion and you want to just use the tips so it looks nicer, I plan on making asparagus soup or quiche or any recipe that you can use asparagus inches So I use the stems the next day so as not to just waste them.
- Fill saucepan with enough water to boil rice in, add chicken stock and bring to boil. Add rice and boil until tender, drain.
- Boil, steam or microwave asparagus until just tender, stir asparagus and parsley into rice.
- To Serve: Place steaks on plates pour sauce over the top, serve rice on the side sprinkle a little parmesan cheese over rice.