Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
- 10 ancho chilies, peeled and seeded or 10 tablespoons dried ancho chile powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 lbs ground ostrich
- 1 corn tortilla, torn up
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle dark beer
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- lime juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn, puree cooked
- 8 corn husks, tied on each end
- Soak chiles in bowl of hot water to cover until soft.
- Place chiles and 2 tablespoons soaking liquid from chiles in blender or food processor.
- Puree 1 minute.
- (If using ground chiles, simply mix with 2 tablespoons water.) Add cumin, coriander, oregano and cinnamon and continue pureeing until smooth.
- Heat oil in saucepan until very hot.
- Add chile puree and fry 1 minute.
- Add onion, garlic, ostrich and torn tortilla.
- Stir well to combine.
- Add beer and stock, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 2 hours.
- Remove stew from heat and season to taste with salt and lime juice.
- Spread 1 1/2 tablespoons corn puree on each corn husk"boat.
- "Top with stew and serve.
- Makes 8 servings.