Cook1 hr 40 mins
There are many versions of ossobuco . This is an easy and really delicious one. Serve over rice or orzo. Adapted from http://www.colavita.com/recipesarchive/recipe.cfm?id=1406. Posted for ZWT7.
- 4 veal shanks (cut 2-inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter or 1 teaspoon margarine
- 1 cup chopped tomato (canned are fine)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup wine (red or white)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 -4 fresh basil leaves, chopped 1
- 1 spring fresh rosemary (optional)
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 -4 carrots, peeled (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Season shanks with salt and pepper; dust with flour.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil and butter; brown the shanks.
- Remove to a large baking dish.
- Adjust carrots beside the meat (optional).
- To the skillet, add the tomatoes, broth, wine, lemon juice, basil, cinnamon and garlic powder.
- Stir together, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Pour over shanks.
- Cover the veal shank with aluminum foil and.
- bake at 375°F for 1 1/2 hour or until tender and brown.
- Note: I tried this recipe out. It was really delicious. We got this meat without bones; and this for the same price!