Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
If you love food with flavor then this one is for you, you can also make this same recipe using short ribs in place of the veal shanks! This takes about 2-1/2 hours to cook in the oven so make this on a day when you have some time, cooking time is only estimated, it will depend on the size of the shanks. This can also be made in a large electic fypan with a lid instead of the oven, and can easily be doubled. Try not to omit the olives they are what makes this Osso Buco!
- 8 -10 veal shanks (use meaty cross-cut, tied with cotton kitchen string)
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt or 2 teaspoons white salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 2 small carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 1 large celery rib, diced
- 3 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 3 teaspoons dried thyme (rubbed between fingers to release the flavor)
- 2 -4 teaspoons dryed chili flakes (optional or to taste)
- 1 cup red wine (or use white wine)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 cup kalamata olive (pitted and halved)
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley (can use more)
- cooked spaghetti
- parmesan cheese
- Pat the shanks dry using paper towels.
- In a shallow dish mix flour with seasoned salt (or white salt) and black pepper).
- Coat the shanks in the flour (shaking off any excess flour).
- Heat butter with oil over medium heat in a large Dutch oven.
- Add in shanks and brown on all sides (about 10-12 minutes) remove browned shanks to a bowl.
- Add in onions, carrots, celery, chili flakes and thyme; cook stirring with a wooden spoon for about 6 minutes (adding in the garlic the last 2 minutes of cooking).
- Add in the wine, broth undrained tomatoes, olives and bay leaves; bring to a boil stirring.
- Season with a little salt an black pepper.
- Arrange the shanks in the pot in one layer; bring to a boil on top of the stove.
- Set oven to 325 degrees.
- Transfer the pot to oven and cook covered until tender (about 2-1/2 hours).
- Serve with cooked pasta and pass the grated parmesan cheese at the table.