Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
From Cooking Light Magazine. Chicken thighs are simmered in a heady tomato sauce, then sprinkled with zesty gremolata and served on a bed of Gruyere-laced polenta. Chicken thighs stand in well for veal shanks in osso buco; their higher fat content, compared to other chicken parts, lets them hold up to long cooking or braising.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 6 chicken thighs, skinned (about 2 pounds)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, cubed
- 3⁄4 cup celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 5 cups tomatoes, chopped (about 2 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cup instant polenta, uncooked
- 3⁄4 cup fresh gruyere cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon rind, grated
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- To prepare chicken, heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoons salt and pepper. Add chicken to pan, cook 4 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove chicken from pan. Heat 1 teaspoons oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, celery and 2 garlic cloves. Cover and cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in wine, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Stir in 1/2 teaspoons salt , tomato, basil, and rosemary, bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium low and cook 15 minutes. Return chicken to pan. Cover and simmer 35 minutes or until chicken is done. Uncover and cook 5 minutes or until tomato mixture thickens.
- To prepare polenta; combine milk and broth in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Remove from heat; gradually add instant polenta, stirring constantly with a whisk. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in cheese and 1/4 teaspoons salt.
- To prepare the gremolata; combine parsley, lemon rind and 1 garlic clove. Serve chicken mixture over polenta; sprinkle with gremolata.