Recipe by DailyInspiration
From Cooking Light Magazine. Chicken thighs are simmered in a heady tomato sauce, then sprinkled with zesty gremolata and served on a bed of Gruyere-laced polenta. Chicken thighs stand in well for veal shanks in osso buco; their higher fat content, compared to other chicken parts, lets them hold up to long cooking or braising.
Top Review by breezermom
Reviewed this day before yesterday, but I guess it didn't stick. This smells wonderful while it is cooking. I cooked mine a little longer because I wanted the tomatoes to sort of disintegrate. The polenta was perfect with this. Served with some crusty bread to soak up the juices. Made for FYC Tag game. Thanks for sharing!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 6 chicken thighs, skinned (about 2 pounds)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, cubed
- 3⁄4 cup celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 5 cups tomatoes, chopped (about 2 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cup instant polenta, uncooked
- 3⁄4 cup fresh gruyere cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon rind, grated
- 1 garlic clove, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare chicken, heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoons salt and pepper. Add chicken to pan, cook 4 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove chicken from pan. Heat 1 teaspoons oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, celery and 2 garlic cloves. Cover and cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in wine, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Stir in 1/2 teaspoons salt , tomato, basil, and rosemary, bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium low and cook 15 minutes. Return chicken to pan. Cover and simmer 35 minutes or until chicken is done. Uncover and cook 5 minutes or until tomato mixture thickens.
- To prepare polenta; combine milk and broth in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Remove from heat; gradually add instant polenta, stirring constantly with a whisk. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in cheese and 1/4 teaspoons salt.
- To prepare the gremolata; combine parsley, lemon rind and 1 garlic clove. Serve chicken mixture over polenta; sprinkle with gremolata.