Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 10 mins
Great Italian Classic, a flavourful stew with Veal Shanks
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour (60ml)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 veal shanks, 1/2lb (250g)
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil (75ml)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 (19 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes, drained and chopped coarsely
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry white wine (375ml)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped (15ml)
- 2 bay leaves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram (45ml)
- 1 tablespoon dried basil (45ml)
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped (250ml)
- 1 lemon, rind of, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- In a plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add the veal shanks and coat them with the flour mixture.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat and brown the veal on both sides.
- Remove the veal, and reduce the heat.
- Add butter, carrots, onion, celery, bay leaves, marjoram, basil, parsley, lemon rind and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add wine and continue cooking for 5 minutes more.
- Stir in tomatoes and broth.
- Place veal in a casserole with the sauce and bake, covered, at 325 degrees F for 2 hours.
- Note, if you have fresh basil or marjoram, you can use 3 tablespoons, finely chopped.