1/2 Photos of Osso Buco Con Salsa Di Funghi
3 hrs 30 mins
Osso Buco with Mushroom Sauce. Delicious served over couscous.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 veal shanks, each tied securely with kitchen string to keep meat attached to bone
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 lbs onions, sliced thin
- 2 celery ribs, sliced thin
- 1/2 lb fresh cremini mushroom, tough stem ends trimmed
- 1/2 lb fresh shiitake mushroom, stems discarded
- 1/2 lb fresh portabella mushroom, stems discarded
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1/2 cup dry vermouth or 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2-3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, washed well, spun dry, and minced
- 1Preheat oven to 275°F
- 2In a heavy ovenproof kettle large enough to hold veal shanks in one layer heat 1 tablespoon each of olive oil and butter over moderately high heat until foam begins to subside and saute onion and celery until beginning to turn golden.
- 3Pat shanks dry between paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Arrange shanks on onion mixture and roast, covered tightly, in middle of oven 3 hours. (Meat will give off juices as it cooks.) Shanks may be prepared up to this point 1 day ahead and cooled, uncovered, before chilling, covered. Reheat shanks before proceeding.)
- 4Cut mushrooms into 1/4-inch-thick slices. in a large skillet heat remaining 2 tablespoons each of olive oil and butter over moderately high heat until foam begins to subside and saute mushrooms with thyme and salt and pepper to taste, stirring, until mushrooms begin to give off their liquid.
- 5Stir in vermouth or wine and lemon juice and cook, stirring, until all but about 1/3 cup liquid is evaporated. Mushrooms may be made 1 day ahead and cooled completely before chilling, covered.
- 6Transfer shanks to a platter and keep warm.
- 7Transfer onions, celery, and pan juices to a blender with 1/2 cup water and puree until smooth, adding more water if necessary to thin sauce to desired consistency.
- 8Pour sauce into a saucepan and stir in mushroom mixture, vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste. Heat sauce over moderate heat until heated through and stir in parsley.
- 9Arrange shanks on couscous and spoon sauce over them.
Browse Our Top Veal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Veal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Osso Buco Con Salsa Di Funghi
Serving Size: 1 (304 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 201.4
- Calories from Fat 115
- Total Fat 12.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 22.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: