Recipe by iamjunebug1354
Got this recipe from elise.com-simplyrecipes. Didn’t want to take credit. It is simple and awesome. Very rewarding.
- 1⁄4 lb pancetta, diced 1/4 inch cubes (do not substitute bacon)
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs veal shanks (4 to 6 pieces 2-3 inches thick)
- 1⁄2 cup diced carrot (1/4 inch cubes)
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery (1/4 inch cubes)
- 1 medium onion, diced 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic (about 4 cloves)
- 3 -4 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 -2 cup chicken stock or 1 -2 cup veal stock
- flour, for dusting the meat before browning sauce
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced flat leaf parsley (Italian)
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Heat a Dutch oven on the stove top over medium heat for about five minutes. Add pancetta to pan, cook, stirring occasionally. When the pancetta is crispy and most of the fat has rendered (about 5 minutes of cooking), remove the pancetta to a plate covered with some paper towel and set aside. If necessary, drain off all but two tablespoons of the fat from the pan.
- Season the veal shank well with salt and pepper. Dredge the veal shanks through some flour, shake off any excess, and add the meat to the hot fat in the pan. Increase the heat to medium high and cook the meat on each side until well browned (about 5 minutes per side). Remove the shanks to a plate, set aside.
- Add the onions, carrots, and celery to the Dutch oven. Cook the onion mixture, stirring frequently, until the onions are translucent (about five minutes) and toss in the garlic and thyme. Continue cooking until the vegetables just begin to brown (about 10 minutes).
- Add the shanks and the pancetta back to the pan. Pour in the wine, and then add enough stock to come a little more than half way up the side of the shanks. Bring to a simmer. Cover the pan and put it in the oven to cook until the meat is tender, about an hour to an hour and a half.
- Combine the gremolata ingredients, place in a separate small serving dish.
- Serves 4 to 6, depending on how many shanks you have, one shank per person. Serve on top of risotto or polenta (for low carb version, skip the risotto or polenta). Sprinkle with gremolata.