Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Veal osso buco from Mr. Food. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounded really good. PREPARATION TIP: When buying the veal shanks, have the butcher cut them 2 inches thick for you.
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 veal shanks, cut 2 inches thick (see Tip)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed French onion soup
- 4 red potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 lb baby carrots
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup water, plus
- 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- In a shallow dish, combine the flour and pepper. Coat the veal with the flour mixture.
- In a soup pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat and brown the shanks, about 5 minutes per side. Add the onion soup, potatoes, carrots, tomato, wine, 1/2 cup water, the lemon juice, parsley, and garlic powder; reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 2 hours or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and remaining 2 tablespoons water and stir into the pot until the sauce has thickened.