Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
I have made this recipe with beef shanks and lamb shanks. Great both ways. I served it over egg noddles with butter and parley and also over green past (recipe 154037)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 lbs beef shanks, trimmed of fat
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups white wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a shallow dish combine flour, salt and pepper. Roll beef pieces in the flour mixture and shake off excess.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoons of the oil in a Dutch oven or heavy over proof skillet over medium-high heat. In two batches, brown the beef on all sides, about 8 to 10 minutes per batch, using the remaining 1/2 tablespoons oil for the second batch.
- Remove the beef to a bowl and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium; add onions, carrots and celery to the pan and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until aromatic, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in tomato sauce, wine basil thyme and bay leaf.
- Add the reserved beef and returned to a simmer.
- Cover and bake for 1 1/2 hours, or until the beef is tender, turning the meat once after 45 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaf, taste and adjust seasoning.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.