Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
A fancy carrot dish for special occasions.
- 900 g carrots
- 120 g unsalted butter
- 230 g onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 650 g passata
- 1 stalk celery, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 bouquet garni
- 1⁄2 orange, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- Peel and wash the carrots but leave them whole Melt 80g of the butter in a frying pan and saute the carrots until brown, turning regularly.
- This will take 10-15 minutes.
- Take the carrots out of the pan and add the onion and half of the remaining butter.
- Saute for a couple minutes and then add the passata, celery, garlic and the bouquet garni.
- Reduce the heat and simmer gently for a couple minutes, then add the orange.
- Season with salt and pepper and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Return the carrots to the pan and cook, covered, on the lowest heat possible for an hour and a half.
- Stir occasionally.
- When they are easily pierced with a sharp knife, remove the carrots and set aside.
- Reduce the sauce until thick.
- Stir in the remaining butter and then pour all the sauce over the carrots and sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve immediately.