Recipe by MissTiff16
Braised Veal Shank. From Cafe Lucci :O) I will put in an estimate for the time.
- 8 veal shanks, 1 - 1/2 inches thick from the hind legs
- flour, for dredging (seasoned with salt and pepper)
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup meat stock (homemade) or 1 cup beef stock (1/2 cup canned beef stock-plus 1/2 cup water)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Arrange shanks on a serving platter. Heat sauce on stove over high heat. If sauce is runny, reduce for a moment and then add butter, stirring to incorporate. Once butter is melted and fused, adjust seasoning and spoon sauce over shanks. Method.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Select oven-proof pot with lid large enough to accommodate all the shanks in a single layer. Set aside.
- Place a large skillet over high heat and add olive oil. Dredge the shanks in the seasoned flour, only as many as the skillet will hold at one time. When oil is hot, sear the shanks on both sides until dark brown. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Drain oil from skillet and return to the heat. Add vegetables, seasoning to taste. Cook for 6 - 7 minutes until soft and lightly wilted. Remove and set aside. Add garlic and cook for another 2 - 3 minutes. Deglaze skillet with the red wine, scraping the bottom to loosen any meat particles stuck to the bottom. Add stock and any juices released from the seared shanks, simmering for a couple more minutes.
- Place half the vegetables on the bottom of the oven-proof pot and arrange shanks on top. Pour remainder of the vegetable wine stock mixture over the shanks. The liquid should come 2/3 way to the top of the shanks. If not, add more stock.
- Cover pot tightly and place in lower third of oven. Cook for about 2 hours until tender,.
- Carefully turning the shanks every ½ hour. Prod with a fork to test for doneness.
- Suggested wine -.
- 1999 Le Bocce Chianti Classico Riserva.