Recipe by bggio
A variation on the veal shank version of the traditional Italian recipe. The light heat with the orange is great, This works very well with egg noodles/wild rice/and garlic mashed potato.
Top Review by Helen R.
I found this variation on Osso Bucco very tasty. However, I am a stickler for clear directions in recipes and these directions were terrible. If the first thing you are supposed to do is fry the pancetta, it should not be listed at the end of step 4. Also put it first in the list of ingredients. The onion -- if the directions are to be taken literally, we would put a whole onion into the pan. If we are supposed to chop it, should we chop it coarse, medium or fine? Same for the celery and garlic cloves. Are the vegetables meant to be chunky, or cut so fine they disappear in the sauce? I agree with a previous reviewer that orange zest does not belong in this recipe. Lastly, I found 120 minutes was not enough time... for real tenderness you need to cook this for 3 hours. Also, for me, the liquid never thickened even though I dredged the shanks in flour. It was more like Osso Bucco soup. The taste was delicious, but overall this is not a good recipe.
- 4 beef shanks, cut 1 1/2 inches thick
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 8 garlic cloves
- 3 celery ribs
- 3 large carrots, 1/2 inch
- 1 hot chili pepper, long
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup beef stock
- 3⁄4 cup red wine
- 4 large tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 3 ounces pancetta
Directions See How It's Made
- heat oven to 325 degrees.
- dredge the shanks in flour salt and pepper mixture.
- heat olive oil in stainless steel pan and brown beef shanks 2-3 minutes per side.
- Remove shanks from oil and add carrots onion garlic celery and pancetta stir together 2-3 minutes and.(pancetta can be fried prior to browning beef to crisp and add back in when adding zest).
- add the herbs and fry 2-3 minutes and then add the chilli pepper and orange zest and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- add the wine and deglaze the pan and boil for 3-4 minutes and then add beef stock and tomato.
- place the beef shanks in the mixture or place all in a dutch oven and place in the oven for 120 minutes.