A variation on the veal shank version of the traditional Italian recipe. The light heat with the orange is great, This works very well with egg noodles/wild rice/and garlic mashed potato.
- 4 beef shanks, cut 1 1/2 inches thick
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 8 garlic cloves
- 3 celery ribs
- 3 large carrots, 1/2 inch
- 1 hot chili pepper, long
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup beef stock
- 3⁄4 cup red wine
- 4 large tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 3 ounces pancetta
- heat oven to 325 degrees.
- dredge the shanks in flour salt and pepper mixture.
- heat olive oil in stainless steel pan and brown beef shanks 2-3 minutes per side.
- Remove shanks from oil and add carrots onion garlic celery and pancetta stir together 2-3 minutes and.(pancetta can be fried prior to browning beef to crisp and add back in when adding zest).
- add the herbs and fry 2-3 minutes and then add the chilli pepper and orange zest and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- add the wine and deglaze the pan and boil for 3-4 minutes and then add beef stock and tomato.
- place the beef shanks in the mixture or place all in a dutch oven and place in the oven for 120 minutes.