Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
The meat just falls off the bone when these shanks are finished cooking. I served it with mashed potatoes.
- 6 veal shanks
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 cup canned tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper
- Season veal shanks with salt and pepper.
- Brown on both sides in hot oil and butter.
- Remove shanks from pan.
- In the same pan saute onion carrots celery and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Add beef broth and canned tomatoes.
- Put everything in the slow cooker and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Drain and strain all the liquid into a pot and reduce to one third.
- Taste and reseason.
- Put shanks back into the juice and reheat.