1/1 Photo of Osso Bucco
2 hrs 30 mins
Little Grandma's Note:
Growing up in an Italian family, this was Sunday dinner at least once a month. My mother handed down the recipe. I have made a few changes over the years.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 3 whole cloves
- 4 veal shanks (one pound each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, for dredging
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 small carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups chicken stock or 3 cups water (or a combination of both)
- 5 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf Italian parsley
- 3 tablespoons lemons, zest of
- 1Place the rosemary, bay leaf and cloves in cheesecloth and tie with twine.
- 2This will be your bouquet garni.
- 3Pat the veal shanks with a paper towel.
- 4Secure the meat at the bone with kitchen twine.
- 5Sprinkle with shanks with salt and pepper.
- 6Dredge the shanks in flour.
- 7In a large Dutch oven heat the olive oil.
- 8Add the shanks to the hot pan and brown on all sides, about 4 minutes per side.
- 9Remove the shanks to a plate.
- 10In the same pot add the onion, carrots and celery.
- 11Season with salt and saute until soft, about 8 minutes.
- 12Add the tomato paste and mix well.
- 13Return the shanks to the pot and add white wine.
- 14Simmer about 5 minutes.
- 15Add the bouquet garni and 2 cups of the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- 16Transfer the Dutch oven to a 325 degree oven and cook for 2 hours.
- 17After 1 hour check the cooking liquid in the pot and if necessary add more stock.
- 18Carefully remove the shanks from the pot.
- 19Cut off the twine and discard.
- 20Discard the bouquet garni.
- 21Pour all the juices over the shanks and garnish with the parsley and lemon zest.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Osso Bucco
Serving Size: 1 (407 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 507.2
- Calories from Fat 205
- Total Fat 22.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 5.4 mg
- Sodium 703.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.6 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 11.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: