Recipe by Bone Man
I don't call this spaghetti sauce (even though it is) because I specifically developed this recipe to complement Italian meatballs. You can use your own homemade meatballs (pre-cooked) or commercial ones, (also pre-cooked. I buy my frozen Italian Meatballs at Sam's Club but they're generally available at large grocers). Some may choose to use the sauce without any meat at all. Either way, this sauce is very full-flavored.
- 1⁄2 large red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 roma tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups red table wine
- 12 ounces chili sauce
- 46 ounces vegetable juice (V-8 or other)
- 1 teaspoon dried sweet basil leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large no-stick skillet, sautee the onion in the olive oil over medium heat.
- When the onions are tender, add the tomatoes and allow them to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the wine, chili sauce, basil and vegetable juice. Bring to a boil and then add salt to taste.
- Transfer the sauce to a crock pot and add in your meatballs if desired. Allow to simmer on the Low setting for six hours.
- Serve over spaghetti or other pasta.