Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is from my mil, she was such a wonderfully patient lady (especially to let me measure everything for this recipe as she made it!) and is sadly missed. It is the "old-fashioned" way to make banana pudding and does take a while, but the family seems to like it. :) prep & cook time are guesses
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml flour
- 29.58 ml cornstarch
- 1.23 ml salt
- 473.18 ml milk
- 3 eggs, separated
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 283.49 g bag vanilla wafers
- 6 bananas, sliced
- 59.14 ml sugar
- Combine (to make custard) sugar, flour, corn starch, and salt in a pot.
- Stir in milk.
- Heat over low heat, stirring often to avoid scorching, until thickened.
- (beleive me, you will know when this happens!-seems like it takes"forever") Beat egg yolks and gradually stir into the hot sugar mixture.
- Cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- "Line"a 2 quart casserole dish with a layer of wafers and top with half of the sliced bananas.
- (**Iusually have this step finished before I begin to make the custard.**) Pour half of"custard" over bananas.
- Repeat, ending with custard on top.
- In separate bowl, beat egg whites stiff, but not dry.
- (I use the electric mixer on high.) Gradually add 1/4 c sugar and beat until mixture forms stiff peaks.
- Pile on top of pudding.
- Spread it around to the edges of the dish to"seal" it.
- (Then make the top pretty by making designs with the back of the spoon.) Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for about 5 minutes.
- (until the egg whites start to turn a golden brown) Watch this close, because sometimes mine turns black-really fast!
- Serve warm or chilled.
Way too sweet.
This recipe is delicious! The pudding is amazing, but I suggest doubling the recipe .. check out my blog for a complete review of the recipe, pictures and tips on how to make it. Enjoy http://customcreations1226.blogspot.com/
To make this in a rectangular dish you need more than 2c. of pudding. I added 1 c. sour cream to the pudding before spreading, which stretched the amount of pudding and added flavor. The dish got rave reviews from my family.