Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Lovely dish from "Bon Appetit". Very nice for a ladies lunch. Sure to impress and easy to make. I like to add some toasted pine nuts to the pasta for texture.
- 8 ounces orzo pasta (uncooked)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 lb medium shrimp, uncooked, peeled and deveined
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup pine nuts, toasted (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Brush 11x7 inch pan with oil.
- Cook orzo according to package directions. Drain well and return to pot. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/4 cup feta cheese, parmesan, and 2 tablespoons basil; stir until blended. (at this point you can add some roasted pine nuts, if you wish).
- Arrange orzo mixture in prepared pan.
- Heat 2 tbsps. oil in large skillet over med-high heat.
- Add shrimp and saute until slightly pink, about 2 minutes (shrimp will NOT be cooked through). Arrange shrimp on top orzo.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to skillet. Add garlic and saute over medium-high heat 30 seconds. Add tomatoes with juice; cook 1 minute. Stir in wine, oregano, crushed red pepper, and remaining 1/4 cup basil. Simmer uncovered until reduced to thick sauce consistency, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper; spoon over shrimp.
- Bake orzo until heated through, about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup feta cheese and serve.
Delicious! This was quick to put together too. I did boil the shrimp instead of following the skillet instructions, otherwise made as stated. Had family in town and they were impressed with this dish and asked for the recipe. Thanks for sharing!
yum yum yum......this was the best! We just loved it, I did throw in some bay scallops...this is a dish worthy of dinner guests...
This recipe is fabulous! We didn't add the pine nuts, but that's a great idea! The flavors are really rich and creamy, just really, really great. Thanks for posting this!