Recipe by Acerast
This a savory side dish that goes well with pork, chicken or lamb. My family enjoys the wonderful flavors of the onions and mushrooms combined with the creamy texture of the orzo. It's a variation of a recipe from Roy Finamore's "Tasty".
- 1 large onion, peeled, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- salt, to taste
- pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- 1 lb orzo (2 cups)
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a large skillet; add the chopped onions and mushrooms.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook gently over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until soft (about 20-25 minutes).
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to boil over high heat.
- Once it comes to a full boil add the bouillon and orzo.
- Cook until the orzo is tender.
- Drain orzo and toss with the cooked onions and mushrooms.
- Taste and add additional seasoning if desired.