Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
From "The Kosher Palette 2"
- 4 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups dried orzo pasta
- 3 -4 tablespoons margarine
- 2 onions, cut into thin wedges
- 4 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 8 ounces mushrooms, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- Boil broth in a large saucepan and add orzo. Cook until tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. Drain any remaining liquid.
- Heat margarine in a large skillet over high heat and saute onions and brown sugar until translucent. Reduce heat to low and simmer onions for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When onions are beginning to brown, add mushrooms and cook for 5-10 minutes longer until the onions are golden brown and mushrooms are tender.
- Combine orzo with onion mixture and season with salt and pepper to taste.