Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Simple orzo recipe, prepared like risotto. Original recipe by Pam Anderson, published in the Washington Post, June 7, 2000.
- 4.92 ml salt
- 226.79 g orzo pasta (about 1 1/3 cups)
- 29.58 ml butter
- 88.74 ml parmesan cheese, grated
- 59.14 ml blue cheese, crumbled
- 29.58 ml walnuts, toasted*
- In a large saucepan, bring 1 quart of water to a boil.
- Add the salt and orzo and cook until the orzo is tender and has absorbed almost all of the cooking liquid, 8 to 9 minutes.
- Stir in the butter, Parmesan and blue cheeses and walnuts.
- Serve immediately.
- * Note: To toast nuts, spread them on a baking sheet and place them in a 350-degree oven, shaking the pan occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes. Watch carefully because nuts will burn quickly.
My youngest swore she didn't like orzo, blue cheese OR walnuts. I then smiled and waited for her to realize, like a squalling baby, that there was something delicious in her mouth and to shut up and enjoy it.