Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a nice side dish for fish or chicken, with a crusty roll and its the perfect meal.
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 small fennel, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄8 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 lb orzo pasta
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1⁄2-1 lb asparagus, cut at angle
- Heat olive oil and butter over medium heat.
- Add onion, fennel, garlic and saute until very soft.
- Add orzo and 1/2 cup chicken stock.
- Stir as you would risotto until liquid is absorbed.
- You might not use the whole quart of broth.
- Repeat until pasta is almost al dente.
- Add asparagus and simmer until tender.
- Top with parmesan, pepper flake and thyme.
Thanks Dancer^, for the great recipe. It was a hit with my sons. They went back for seconds. We will be having it again for sure.
I made this last week. I bought orzo by accident thinking it was rice. I found this recipe and have now been en;ightened by this wonderful flavorful recipe. Yumola!