Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Found this on the Barrilla Website. I love artichokes and this looks great.
- 2 (32 ounce) cartons chicken broth
- 6 whole artichokes (may substitute 2 -9 ounce packages frozen artichoke quarters, thawed and drained)
- 2 -3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons divided extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 cup pancetta, sliced and cubed
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) box orzo pasta
- 1⁄2 cup parmigiano, freshly
- HEAT chicken broth in a medium sized pot over low heat until hot. Leave on stove top on lowest heat until needed.
- CLEAN artichokes by slicing 1/4 inch off the top and bottom. Remove all the tough outer leaves leaving a quarter of the artichoke remaining. Cut artichoke in half lengthwise and remove choke. Cut into thin slices and soak in a bowl of water with lemon juice to prevent browning.
- HEAT 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and drained artichoke slices; saute 5-6 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside. In same skillet, add pancetta.
- SAUTE pancetta over medium high heat until lightly browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- ADD remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil to skillet. Add onions and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- ADD Orzo and enough hot chicken broth to cover pasta. Cook continuously, adding more broth as needed until pasta is cooked.
- ADD artichokes a few minutes before the end of cooking. When pasta is a smooth consistency and excess broth is evaporated, stir in cheese, pancetta and butter.
- TRANSFER to a serving platter or bowl and serve hot.
- SERVE with red wine.